The Duluth Public Library is seeking energetic, responsible people who are looking for rewarding work. Volunteering at your library is a wonderful way to help people, while also staying connected to your community. Please read our volunteer policy before applying.
If you would like to donate your time, please read our Volunteer Policy and then contact our volunteer coordinator, Cheryl Skafte, at:
Download Volunteer Application
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Home Library Service - Book Selector - Main Library
Volunteers assist library patrons who are no longer able to visit a library by selecting, delivering and/or returning materials.
Goal of Opportunity: Promote the use of library materials to patrons who physically cannot visit the library.
Duties/Responsibilities: Volunteer contacts Home Library Service users to discuss book interests and requests. Using the patrons account, volunteer selects, checks out and bags the requested books for the patron, preparing it for delivery volunteers. Every effort will be made to match volunteers with Home Library Service users with similar book interests.
Time Commitment: 4-6 hours per month, minimum of one year commitment encouraged. This volunteer will have a caseload of patrons that live in the UMD/CSS college area and must be available to select books during the first week of the month, as the delivery of the selected books goes out the 2nd Wednesday.
- Enthusiasm for the Duluth Public Library; friendliness; ability to interact with the public.
- Able to work independently and with little supervision.
- Ability to push, bend, stretch, and lift; a bag of materials can weigh up to 22 lbs.
- Delivery Volunteers must have a valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation.
- Contact Volunteers must be comfortable using phones and the online library catalog.
Training/Orientation: All Home Library Service Volunteers are required to attend the basic orientation session and at least 3 hours of additional training provided by the DPL. Current volunteers who are already fulfilling this volunteer description can be excused from training if current supervisor(s) sign off.
Background Check/Screening: Applicants must fill out an application and consent to a background check. Delivery Volunteers must have a valid driver’s license and consent to a driving history check.
Special Events and Program - All Library Locations
Overview: Got an extra hand to lend? A little spare time for those ‘every once in a while’ occasions? Help the library out at our Special Events and Programs! Opportunities to participate in one-time opportunities exist at West Duluth, Downtown and Mt. Royal.
Goal of Position: To have an enthusiastic and friendly pool of volunteers that can assist in the organization, preparing, and carrying out of special event, projects and activities for and at the Library.
- Assist library staff in implementing one-time programs and events for library patrons; such as author visits, receptions, Summer Reading Program parties, youth activities, gallery exhibits.
- Assist library staff in program preparation, mailings, and other limited office projects (as needed).
- Assist with set-up and take-down responsibilities.
Please note: While most events will be indoors, some may be outdoors. For indoor events, volunteer will work inside and be protected from weather conditions; working in a clean, well-ventilated, and well-lighted environment. Outdoor events include exposure to seasonal weather conditions.
Time Commitment: No minimum time commitment. Volunteers can do as many events a year as they are available. Each event will vary in time commitment (averaging 2-4 hours long), but all will be during regular Library hours. Many of our Special Events are on evenings and weekends.
- Enthusiasm and enjoyment of working / interacting with the public.
- Must be able to understand, retain and follow written and verbal instructions.
- For some events, experience working with children is preferred.
- Able to provide attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, be resourceful, and work independently as well as with a team
Training/Orientation: Any necessary orientation and training will be provided on the day of the event.